10.06.2009

Mad about Mad Men- Costume ideas for 2009




{images via here}
Halloween is just around the corner, but finding a clever costume hasn't really been at the top of my priority list this year. My past experiences with costume shopping have left me pretty hesitant about the whole process. You buy a costume (they are pretty expensive btw), wear it once, throw it in the back of your closet, and never see it again. So after buying bunny, flight attendant, gangster getups in past years, I've learned to instead invest in costumes that utilize everyday pieces that can be worn later. Last Halloween, I channeled the legendary Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly, and it has probably been my favorite costume thus far (with exception to my ballerina costume I never took off when I was 3). I bought a simple black dress, a fake 99 cent cigarette holder, did my own updo, and topped it off with a borrowed a tiara for the whole look. The little black dress is something I can use forever, and won't end up as closet trash.
This year I'm going to play by the same rules and attempt to pull off the look of the stunning housewife, Betty Draper (played by January Jones) from the hit show Mad Men. Set in the early 60's, Mad Men's style reminds me of my grandmother. She was a seamstress back in her day and made the most beautiful and elegant dresses. The style back then was so lovely and polished (something you don't generally ever see today). I really hope I can pull it off, and if anything, I'll still get a really great dress out of it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails